Spinal narrowing, commonly known as spinal stenosis, occurs as the spinal canal narrows. The narrowing of the spinal canal may inflict pressure on neighboring nerves or the spinal cord. With compression, debilitating pain and various other symptoms may arise. This condition can appear in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar region of the spine.
Causes of Spinal Narrowing
This condition can be caused by a variety of symptoms. Below are the top factors that contribute to this spinal narrowing:
- Age: As we age, natural deterioration of the spine may occur and can lead to this condition.
- Genetics: If theres is a family history of spinal conditions, there is a greater likelihood of spinal narrowing.
- Excess Weight: Extra weight can place a harmful amount of pressure on the spine and can contribute to this condition.
- Trauma: Injuries sustained from traumatic events or sports can potentially lead to spinal narrowing.
- Existing conditions: Spinal conditions such as a herniated disc and bone spurs can contribute to the narrowing of the spine.
Symptoms of Spinal Narrowing
Symptoms of spinal narrowing will vary based on the severity of the condition. Here are the leading symptoms that may arise with spinal narrowing:
- Localized pain
- Neck and back pain
- Muscle weakness
- Numbness and tingling
- Limited mobility
- Radiating pain throughout the body
At OC Spine Center, our spine specialists are dedicated to effectively treating spine conditions with the top treatment options. Through a comprehensive consultation, we assess the patient’s symptoms and medical history to properly diagnose the condition. We customize all treatment plans based on the severity of the condition and patient’s needs. Initially, our board-certified physicians start each patient with conservative forms of treatment. More controlled forms of treatment may include medications, injections and various physical therapies. If symptoms persist, our spine specialists may recommend our minimally invasive, low risk spine surgery.
If you are interested in treating your spinal condition and finding relief, contact OC Spine Center and book your appointment today.