A ruptured disc, also referred to as a herniated disc, occurs as the disc tears and the inner material is expelled into the spinal canal. As the discs leak, the soft core may create compression on the spinal cord or surrounding nerves. This condition can appear in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar region of the spine.
Causes of a Ruptured Disc
Like most spinal conditions, there is no one cause of a ruptured disc. Here are some of the top causes of a ruptured disc:
- Age: Over time, natural wear and tear can occur on discs and may lead to a ruptured disc.
- Injury: Injuries sustained from accidents or sports may contribute to this spinal condition.
- Obesity: Excess weight can place pressure on the spine and may cause a ruptured disc.
- Genetics:If there is a family history of a spinal condition, there may be an increased risk of developing a ruptured disc.
Symptoms of a Ruptured Disc
As the disc develops a tear and exposes its inner core, there are a variety of symptoms that may arise. Below are the leading signs and symptoms of this condition:
- Numbness and tingling
- Muscle weakness
- Limited mobility
- Localized pain
- Radiating pain throughout the body
In most cases, spinal conditions can be treated through conservative forms of treatment. We identify and diagnose each patient’s condition through a comprehensive consultation. During the consultation, our board-certified physician will perform a physical exam, evaluate the medical history and create a unique treatment plan. We believe starting patients off with conservative forms of treatment to avoid any potential complications. If symptoms persist, our spine specialists may recommend spine surgery. Our specialized spine surgery is minimally invasive, low risk and has a fast recovery time.
For more on how to find relief, contact the spine specialists at OC Spine Center and book your appointment today.