A pinched nerve occurs as the pressure is placed on the nerve. Nerve compression can appear throughout the spine and in other areas of the body. Surrounding tissue, bone, cartilage and muscle can become displaced and cause nerve compression. Pinched nerves most commonly appear in the cervical and lumbar region of the spine.
Causes of a Pinched Nerve
Although there is no main cause of this condition, there are a few factors that contribute to the development of a pinched nerve:
- Age: Over time, the natural degeneration of the spine can lead to nerve compression.
- Obesity: Excess weight can place pressure on the spine and could cause a pinched nerve.
- Existing conditions: Conditions like spinal arthritis, bone spurs, herniated discs and other spinal conditions can all contribute to the development of a pinched nerve.
- Injury: Injuries from traumatic accidents or sports can all lead to this condition.
- Genetics: If there is a family history of spinal conditions, there may be an higher likelihood of this condition.
Symptoms of a Pinched Nerve
The symptoms of this condition will often arise in the region of the pinched nerve and can even extend out into the body. Here are some of the top symptoms of a pinched nerve.
- Localized pain
- Tingling and numbness
- Muscle spasms
- Radiating pain
- Limited mobility
- Muscle weakness
At OC Spine Center, we strive to provide the top spinal condition treatment options in Orange County. We perform an exhaustive consultation with each patient to fully assess and diagnose their spinal condition. Once identified, our physicians will carefully create a unique treatment plan based on the severity of the condition and needs of the patient. Pinched nerves can often be treated by conservative forms of treatment like physical therapy, medication, and hot and cold therapy. If symptoms persist, our spine specialists may suggest our minimally invasive decompression surgeries. Laminotomy, foraminotomy and discectomy are all decompression procedures that successfully treat a pinched nerve.
Alleviate pain today with the help of the spine specialists at OC Spine Center. Contact us and book your appointment today.