Facet disease occurs as facet joints degenerate. As joints deteriorate, they will become exposed to the surrounding nerve roots or spinal cord. This not only will cause their functionality to suffer, but present a variety of symptoms. This condition appears most in the lumbar region of the spine.
Causes of Facet Disease
Facet disease can be caused by numerous factors, below are some of the leading causes of this spinal condition.
- Age: As time progresses, natural wear and tear can affect the components of the spine.
- Weight: Excess weight can place an immense amount of pressure on the facet joints and cause degeneration.
- Injury: Traumatic accidents or sports injuries may cause facet disease.
- Repetitive Activity: Whether you have a physically demanding occupation or participate in sports, prolonged repetitive activity can lead to facet disease.
- Existing Conditions: Spinal conditions like osteoarthritis can cause deterioration and facet disease.
Symptoms of Facet Disease
This condition may present various symptoms. Here are some of the leading symptoms that occur with facet disease:
- Localized or radiating pain
- Neck and back pain
- Numbness and tingling
- Limited mobility
- Muscle spasms
Facet disease is an irreversible condition that must be treated if debilitating symptoms occur. At OC Spine Center, we aim to treat all spinal conditions using conservative methods of treatment. Controlled non-surgical treatment options may include physical therapy, injections, hot and cold therapy. If conservative treatment proves ineffective, our board-certified physicians may suggest spine surgery. We offer the leading minimally invasive spine surgery that is performed with the latest technology and surgical techniques. Our specialized spine surgery is low risk and has a low infection rate.
Contact the spine specialists at OC Spine Center to find out more about how to treat your spine condition.